Cutting Edge Wellness Programming – Promoting a Culture of Health
Debra Menke, MS, ACE
Preventive Health Team Program Coordinator, Sandia National Laboratories
AAFP 1.0 | ACSM 1.0 | CDR 1.0 | NCHEC 1.0 *
Sandia Laboratories is committed to promoting healthy lives and embracing health. Since 1986, Sandia has built a comprehensive, evidence-based program designed to measure health risk prevalence, provide targeted services to address health risks, incentivize employees and spouses to make healthy choices, and lower healthcare costs.
• Annual health assessments to measure wellness scores and health risk prevalence
• Health Action Plans designed to help employees take action to improve specific, measurable aspects of health
• Incentive management program that rewards employees and spouses for tracking activity, nutrition, sleep, and more with health reimbursement spending
• Healthy meals at cafeterias, snack bars, and vending machines; access to walking loops, fitness classes, exercise facilities; spaces dedicated to micro-breaks to encourage less sitting and energy renewal
• Health management for chronic conditions
• Programs and classes for personal or group fitness, nutrition, stress, sleep, wellness coaching
• Comprehensive communication strategy including Web, email, video, print mediums
Debra Menke is the Preventive Health Program Coordinator at Sandia National Laboratories. With 22 years of experience in occupational health, Deb, a Distinguished Member of Lab Staff, leads a team of healthcare professionals who assist employees in minimizing the risk of illness through contemporary preventive health strategies, education, early detection and treatment. Deb joined Sandia in 1995 as a student intern and has been a medical case manager, a preventive health professional, an executive health coach, and a manager serving in various leadership positions throughout Health Services. Deb holds a master of science degree in health promotion from the University of New Mexico and a bachelor’s degree in community health from the University of Wisconsin at La Crosse. She is a group exercise instructor, certified through the American Council on Exercise and Les Mills. Deb has presented at several health and wellness industry conferences.